philo readings

If it belongs nowhere else, it belongs here!
randy

philo readings

Post by randy »

Can anyone suggest some readings to establish a good foundation in and basic understanding of philosophy? I took an introductory philosophy class as an under grad, but I want something more. Thanks!
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: philo readings

Post by Doug »

randy wrote:Can anyone suggest some readings to establish a good foundation in and basic understanding of philosophy? I took an introductory philosophy class as an under grad, but I want something more. Thanks!
DOUG writes:
After an introductory course, you run into different areas of specialization, such as philosophy of law, philosophy of mind, applied ethics, metaethics, metaphysics, philosophy of language, etc. Do you have some idea of what areas most interest you?
Randy

philo

Post by Randy »

Philosophy of mind and metaphysics I suppose. Thanks Doug!
Doug
Designate the number of cents in half a dollar: 0

Re: philo

Post by Doug »

Randy wrote:Philosophy of mind and metaphysics I suppose. Thanks Doug!
DOUG
A basic reader in philosophy of mind is Subjectivity & Reduction: An Introduction to the Mind-Body Problem (Westview Press, 1994) by Barbara Hannan. I met her when she had a temporary appointment at the U. of Arkansas. (I'm in a footnote! It was my first footnote mention.)

Another philosophy of mind reader is The Philosophy of Mind: Classical Problems/Contemporary Issues, 2nd Edition (Bradford Books, 2006) by Brian Beakley and Peter Ludlow, editors. The latest edition is $24.00 used on Amazon. You might be able to get an older edition for just a few bucks.

Another basic introduction to philosophy of mind, available used for $3.00 on Amazon: Philosophy of Mind, by Dale Jacquette.

On metaphysics in general, I don't think much of Peter van Inwagen's book Metaphysics, although I know they used it at the U. of Arkansas sometimes. A short introduction to some of the issues in metaphysics that is much better is Richard Taylor's Metaphysics, which is available for about six dollars on Amazon right now.

Good luck.
Randy

Philo

Post by Randy »

Thanks Doug! I appreciate the help.

Randy